Are you tired of wasting money on your work attire? Would you like your business casual wardrobe to be more versatile? Do you wonder if your 9-to-5 outfit choices are work appropriate? Yes, the “what-do-I-wear-to-work” struggle is real, but there is a solution!
The first step is to think about what your workwear choices say about you. Fashionista Rachel Zoe says, “Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak.” At the office, your style should say that you are a responsible and valued member of the team. Your style should say that you are ready to lead.
Next, consider the five wardrobe-building recommendations below. These easy tips show how a few versatile pieces can help you to project credibility at the office. And as an added budget-stretching bonus, most of these items are probably already in your closet!
- White Blouse. A white blouse is a wardrobe classic. Its versatility will serve you well in professional and casual work environments. Pair it with a skirt suit for a traditional look, or update it with slacks and a statement necklace. A white blouse can be worn in any season, and of course, the color will go with everything.
- Lace-Free Cami. A lace-free camisole helps you to get more mileage out of your wardrobe budget by transforming your deep-v tops from work inappropriate to work appropriate. This humble workhorse is a must in any modern girl’s business wardrobe.
- Dark Denim Jeans. If you are allowed to wear denim at work, consider investing in a pair of dark denim jeans in a classic fit. Pair them with a simple top, blazer, and heels for an instantly chic look that works for the office as well as date night.
- A-Line or Pencil Skirt. Whichever style fits your body type best, be sure to make the most of it! Dress it up with a blouse and blazer for professional events or dress it down with a sweater and flats for casual outings.
- Two-Piece Suit. A suit is the cornerstone of any business casual wardrobe. Be sure that yours is comfortable, flattering, and the best quality that you can afford. Wear the pieces separately to get the most out of your investment: Pair the jacket with a cotton top and wide-leg pants for a stylish and on-trend business casual look. Pair the slacks with a sweater or cardigan and flats. And don’t be afraid to wear your slacks more than once a week. No one will notice if you pair them with a different top!
Dressing for work doesn’t have to be a struggle. These simple, economical tips can help you to elevate your work wardrobe, feel confident, and project credibility at the office.
At Spencer Crane Etiquette, our mission is to help you achieve career success on your terms. We think you are pretty great just as you are, but we know that mastering business etiquette skills can boost your confidence and give you an edge over the competition. Your success is our passion!
Stayce Wagner is the author of Modern Business Etiquette for Young & Fabulous Professionals, available at Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com, the iTunes Store, and other major outlets. Stayce is the founder of Spencer Crane Etiquette, LLC, where business etiquette and authenticity are partners, not rivals. Our many services are designed to help you to achieve success on your terms. We invite you to contact us today to discuss how we can help you with your business etiquette needs.